Register for NYC Debate Club
Questions? 732-844-3835 email@example.com (email preferable)
- What? We are the The Debate Team of New York City! We are also the largest debate program in New York City. We teach all students the fundamentals of public speaking, debate and argumentation. We have classes for both absolute beginners to advanced debaters.
- Who? We are open to all 5th-12th grade students.
- Where? Debate Club Practices are held at our office at 25 Broadway, 9th or 10th floors. Conveniently located near all subway trains, buses and the Staten Island Ferry. We meet once a week the scheduled identified Saturdays from 9:30am-11:30am.
- How? NYC Debate Club was founded for students without debate teams in their schools or for students who wanted additional debate practicing and coaching. We have some of the top Debate Coaches in the city, region and nation as our instructors. We are all united by our passion for debate and public speaking.
- Why? Besides debate, we have awesome food, fun, and friends! Whether you compete at one tournament or zero tournaments or 100 tournaments - our vision is that debate skills are for everyone. Everyone should learn public speaking, debate and advocacy skills. And everyone should have fun doing debate. It is the oldest and most rigorous academic program.
- Tuition? Debate Club is $549.00 each semester. This includes tournament registration and breakfast & lunch at tournaments. All fees are non-refundable. All proceeds go to supporting the mission of the Urban Debate League of supporting underserved schools and students that lack access to debate opportunities. Thank you for supporting our mission.
- Practice Public Speaking Skills in a fun environment. #1 Fear in America is public speaking! Public Speaking is essential for school, college, career, and community.
- College Preparedness. Study after study shows debate increases every Academic Skill (Reading, Writing, Researching, Critical Thinking, Listening) and every Academic Subject (Current Events, Philosophy, Civics, Political Science, Economics). Click here to learn more about the academic benefits of debate.
- Gain Confidence. "Hello, I am 12 years old, and I am a debater. When I got my first trophy it was amazing. I felt like a queen. That trophy was the first trophy I have ever gotten in my life. That trophy changed my life forever. I was nervous when I got it too. I just want to say thank you, thank you for everything. – Anissa P., 6th Grade, Great Debater. Read more student testimonials.
- Build Leadership Skills. “Maybe you could be a mayor or a senator or a Supreme Court justice, but you might not know that until you join the debate team." - President Barack Obama. Click here to learn more about debaters throughout history.
- 21st Century Skills. “Competitive debate is one of the great equalizers of educational opportunity. In a number of respects, competitive urban debate is almost uniquely suited to building what’s been called the ‘Four C’s’ of 21st century skills—critical thinking, communication, collaboration and creativity. And to that list I might add a fifth ‘C’— for civic awareness and engagement.” – US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, honoring all urban debaters in Washington D.C.
- Fun! Tournaments! Games! Prizes! Activities! More!
- Community. The NYC Urban Debate League is like no other debate league in the nation. We build an incredible vertical community of adult debaters, alumni debaters, college debaters, high school debaters and middle school debaters who all work together. Learn from Parents how we build an incredible community for students.
- Year Round Opportunities. In addition to our Debate Club, we also offer year round programs. Learn more by visiting our website, www.debate.nyc and click on "Programs" Tab.
- Supporting New York City! There are many debate programs that are operated by for profit companies or non NYC groups. All NYCUDL proceeds go to scholarships for NYC youth so that all students have the opportunity to access debate. Our camps are taught by the best NYC debate coaches and teachers. This passion that drives our mission makes our clubs and camps the best. And it is not just for the school year - the majority of our students return each semester, each summer and each year through middle school and high school. And so we are the only debate program that is also year round! So thank you for supporting the first and only Debate Club for New York City and by New York City.