March-Early May Debate Club
Registrations for returning students will be processed first.
Please note that you should not consider your child to be registered for Debate Club until you receive a personalized acceptance from us o.
Debate helps participants hone key skills. By joining NYC Urban Debate League this fall, debaters will come away with:
- First-hand experience building and delivering persuasive and compelling speeches
- Critical thinking and problem solving abilities that are applicable across real-world scenarios and help prepare for university-level courses
- Invaluable friendships and unforgettable experiences
Why Debate Club for my Child?
- Practice Public Speaking Skills in a fun environment. #1 Fear in America is public speaking! Public Speaking is essential for school, college, career, and community.
- College Preparedness. Study after study shows debate increases every Academic Skill (Reading, Writing, Researching, Critical Thinking, Listening) and every Academic Subject (Current Events, Philosophy, Civics, Political Science, Economics). Click here to learn more about the academic benefits of debate.
- Gain Confidence. "Hello, I am 12 years old, and I am a debater. When I got my first trophy it was amazing. I felt like a queen. That trophy was the first trophy I have ever gotten in my life. That trophy changed my life forever. I was nervous when I got it too. I just want to say thank you, thank you for everything. – Anissa P., 6th Grade, Great Debater. Read more student testimonials.
- Build Leadership Skills. “Maybe you could be a mayor or a senator or a Supreme Court justice, but you might not know that until you join the debate team." - President Barack Obama. Click here to learn more about debaters throughout history.
- 21st Century Skills. “Competitive debate is one of the great equalizers of educational opportunity. In a number of respects, competitive urban debate is almost uniquely suited to building what’s been called the ‘Four C’s’ of 21st century skills—critical thinking, communication, collaboration and creativity. And to that list I might add a fifth ‘C’— for civic awareness and engagement.” – US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, honoring our debaters in Washington D.C.
- Fun! Participate in fun, competitive, educational Debate Tournaments every Month! Click here for our Middle School Tournament Calendar. Click here for our High School Tournament Calendar
- Community. The NYC Urban Debate League is like no other debate league in the nation. We build an incredible vertical community of adult debaters, alumni debaters, college debaters, high school debaters and middle school debaters who all work together. Learn more. Learn from Parents how we build an incredible community for students.
- Year Round Opportunities. In addition to our Fall and Spring Semester Debate Club, we also offer Summer Debate Programs. Learn more.